Monday, April 22, 2013

Rockin' Savasana

My reaction at my 1st class :)

Many of my friends already know this story, but I will share it again for those of you who might not.
Up until late 2010 I had never seen or taken a Yoga class.
ME take Yoga?  Oh, hell no.  I am high energy, fully caffeinated and didn't see the point in spending an hour standing on one leg or laying on my back "being still."
That is, until I started teaching Zumba fitness :)

I was on the hunt for space to rent to teach classes. I had called karate studios, dance studios, etc. and had the brilliant idea to call a local Yoga studio because it was super close to my house and I thought "why not?".
I called and spoke to the studio owner who invited me to come look at the space, which I did.
Well, then it happened.  She invited me to stay for a class as her guest.
OMG.  What do I do?
I mean, I am potentially going to enter into a business arrangement w/ this person. It would be rude to decline, right?
So, I took a deep breath, kissed goodbye an hour of my life and stayed.

One of the best hours of my life!
I began teaching Zumba at the studio shortly after (well, 2 months after that meeting because I kept getting cold feet and saying I wasn't ready until the studio owner (who has grown to be an amazing friend and one of my biggest supporters) said "Newsflash. You will NEVER be ready.  Just do it.".
Since that time I have been taking Yoga classes regularly (and most recently Pilates, oh my!) at the studio.
It's part of own personal workout.

Yoga is probably one of the most difficult and challenging things I have ever done.
It started with trying to take myself to a calmer, slower place for an hour.  That was the biggest hurdle for me.
Then it was accepting that I might fall over a bit (okay, I always fall over a bit :) when I do my tree pose, but that it's not how well I do it, but that I tried it and did it that counts.
Lastly, it was the discovery that, for me, at least, Yoga is about strengthening my core. Not my midsection, but the core of ME.  Learning to listen to my thoughts and my body and trust in them.
Yoga is about becoming stronger. Again, not just in body, but in spirit.

My practice has exposed me to different instructors with very different styles. I have been pushed beyond my personal comfort zone and I have succeeded in things I never thought I could.  This is because while I "saw" my limitations, they did not.  They saw my capabilities.

Rockin' Savasana (hard)!


I dig tree pose.  I still think I look a bit like a weeping willow, but it's getting better.
I am still light years away from even coming close to crow pose.
However, after a rough start (again, stillness is NOT my forte), I can honestly say I am now rockin' Savasana.

No comments: